What is Vedic Maths?
Table of Contents
It is a common question in every parent’s mind or maths enthusiasts about What is the meaning of Vedic Maths and whether it will be useful for my kids. What are its benefits and importance? So here we answer all your questions that you might have on Vedic Maths- Benefits, Vedic Maths Tricks, Books, Benefits for Kids and Teachers both, how it can help schools and some solved examples of tricks of Vedic Maths.
Vedic Maths is a methodology of fast calculations having Vedic Sutras which saves time in maths and has benefits & features to develop mental maths and speed in maths. It is an ancient system of calculation found in the Vedas between 1911 and 1918 by Shri Bharati Krishna Tirathji. He was born in 1884 in Puri, Orrisa. He had a great hold in the subjects of Maths, Science, Sanskrit, and Humanities. He had learned these techniques from “Rig Veda”.
It helps faster calculations with a lot of tricks, short-cut methods also called Sutras. There are 16 main sutras and 13 sub-sutras. They can be used in measurement, arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, data commercial math… The Sanskrit term ” Veda” means “knowledge”. Conventionally we have to do calculations with a lot of steps which slow down the speed. However with the Vedic system of calculations, one can excellently increase the speed of solving math problems.
The Father of Vedic Mathematics and History
Shri Bharati Krishna Tirathji is called the Father of Vedic maths. He took to self-realization at Shringeri Matha with the guidance of Shri Shankracharya, Shri Sachidananda Shiva Abhinava Narsimha Saraswati, He spent 7 years in deep meditation and study of Vedanta and lived the life of a Sadhu from 1911 to 1918. During this period, the 16 Sutras of Vedic Maths were made.
He was called Shri Bharti Krishna Tirthaji after being initiated into Sanyas in July 1919 by Shri Trivikram Teerathaji of Varanasi.
Shri Trivikram Tirathji appointed him as the Head of Dwarikapeeth in 1921. Later he headed the Govardhan Math Monastry, Puri, Orissa from 1925 to till his Mahasmadhi in the year 1960.
Benefits of Vedic Maths to Students
- Builds Speed and Accuracy in Maths: Vedic Maths is a maths system of calculation that has a collection of shortcut tricks and techniques called Vedic Sutras for building speed and accuracy in maths. The list of these Sutras is given below. Once you get trained in it, your speed of calculations becomes outstanding. The accuracy in maths is just brilliant.
- Reduce Rough Work: Students are able to reduce their rough work. A lot of rough work makes students slower in maths. With the mental maths techniques of Vedic Maths, they are able to do the calculations easier and faster. The techniques of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, squares, roots, square roots, cube roots, and other such higher calculations help students reduce a lot of rough work. The result is that their accuracy builds up along with saving time.
- Save Time in Calculations: Vedic Maths is based on Vedic Sutras which are a collection of a lot of shortcut tricks and techniques. Using the Vedic Sutras, the longer calculations using the conventional methods are reduced to one line of answers many a time. The students save time in calculations, therefore they are able to solve questions quickly.
- Students Confidence is Higher: Know the Vedic Sutras, students definitely have an edge. Students are more confident in math exams, tests, olympiads, and competitive exams. Being confident makes you free from self-doubt. You think positively towards the exam and your belief in yourself makes you trust in your answers. You would not have any math anxiety or maths fear. You study and prepare in a productive way and are more relaxed in the exams. Greater confidence leads to greater success
- Higher Ranks in Competitions: There are a lot of maths tests, exams, and competitions students appear in as per their grades. To mention a few IMO, JEE, IIT Entrance, CAT, Bank, NDA. Students generally score high in Olympiads and Competitions when they know Vedic Maths. In fact, student maths olympiads start from grade 1 in most of the schools. Students of Grade2 and Grade 3 can start learning some of these methods at an early age.
- Easy to Pick up and Learn: It has simple methods of doing maths which can be easily comprehended by the students and hence they find maths easier. A course of Vedic Maths can easily be completed in 8 months of time. The methodology is really easy to pick up for the students.
- Make Maths Interesting and Fun: Vedic Maths makes you so confident with numbers and their calculations that you actually start enjoying the subject. Your interest level is higher and it makes maths interesting for you. Click here to know some of the ways. Your ability to get answers quickly gets you praise from all around. You just start loving maths by being highly confident.
- It Increases Visualization: In knowing the techniques of Vedic maths, one is taught how to make patterns increases in mind for faster calculations. This leads to an enhancement in the child’s visual ability.
- It develops Logical Reasoning: In Vedic maths, the student gets to know a lot of methods of faster calculations. These methods are universally applicable and following them, one can arrive at logical conclusions. They become cross-checking methods and one can always verify with conventional methods.
- It Develops Mental Agility: Vedic Maths gives you a different outlook to look a the numbers. It helps to solve difficult and complex maths calculations through simpler and faster methods. Therefore it develops the mental agility of a person. The environment around us whether- business, social, cultural, scientific, natural is continuously changing and is very complex. Having mental agility to understand it and offer simpler and quick solutions is important.
- It Develops your Concentration: There are several methods to develop concentration like a good studying environment, clear space, discipline, daily practice, and along with these techniques effective and smart method is very important to develop concentration. Vedic Maths keeps you focussed on the task at hand and offers quick solutions to problems with accuracy in maths. So long and difficult maths problems can be done in a smart way with speed and accuracy. If you want to know more, then click here to find out more about how Vedic Maths is Useful.
Hence, the benefits of Maths can be summarized as it develops mental maths of the child giving them more confidence in maths. It has helped millions of children across the world in scoring high in maths exams and competitions. Know more in detail on Vedic Maths Advantages.
Benefit of Vedic Maths to schools
- Schools who teach these methods of calculations are able to develop students for higher level of learning in maths. As the students are able to reduce their rough work and save time in calculations , they are able to solve questions quickly.
- Students are more confident in maths to appear for tests and exams.
- Students generally score high in Olympiads and Competitions.
- Teachers can easily be trained in a short duration of training time. Winaum Learning has school workshops and offer books to schools for teaching Vedic Maths.
- It has simple methods of doing methods that can be easily comprehended by the students.
- It makes teaching really maths more fun and children just love it.
The most important feature of Vedic Mathematics system of learning is its logical methodology. For example, the Nikhilam method in subtraction,the subtraction technique of all from nine and last from 10 does not require children writing the whole numerical question in vertical order to do subtraction questions. With lesser time and lesser steps it helps them solve it saving a lot of time. This is very easy to pick up. In the general multiplication method, for example, it is easily reversed to allow one-line divisions and the simple squaring method can be reversed to show one-line square roots. It makes maths easy and do it with it speed increases their confidence.
NAME / SUTRA
COROLLARY / SUB-SUTRA
By one more than the previous one
Nikhilam Navatashcaramam Dashatah
All from 9 and the last from 10
Vertically and crosswise
Kevalaih Saptakam Gunyat
Transpose and adjust
When the sum is the same that sum is zero
If one is in ratio, the other is zero
Yavadunam Tavadunikritya Varga Yojayet
By addition and by subtraction
By the completion or non-completion
Differences and Similarities
Whatever the extent of its deficiency
Part and Whole
The remainders by the last digit
The ultimate and twice the penultimate
By one less than the previous one
The product of the sum is equal to the sum of the product
Adyam Antyam Madhyam
The factors of the sum is equal to the sum of the factors
Explanation with Examples in Vedic Methodology
Vedic Mathematics Methods of doing Maths helps to solve difficult sums easily and quickly. And these are systematic methods implying these are far easier than conventional methods taught in the school. It reduces a lot of steps for children and thereby increases their speed of calculation making them competitive. Hence it school competitions and Olympiads kids trained with this system of learning do better than other otherwise.
Nowadays the interest in Vedic System of Learning is growing a lot. The children are comfortably applying Vedic Sutras in Geometry, Calculus, Computing Etc.
It is said “Practice Makes the Man Perfect” , the more you practice the better is the speed of calculation and mental maths of the students.
Vedic Maths Tricks
Vedic Maths Tricks on Addition
Addition with Double to Single Digits:
Add Ten’s column to Ten’s and one’s column to one’s
Question : Solve the Problem 15 + 3
Step 1: 1 tens
1 tens or 10
Step 2 : Add one’s column values
5 + 3 = 8
Step 3: Add 1tens + 8
10 + 8 = 18
Ans: The answer is 18
Addition with 2 Digits Numbers
Add Ten’s column to Ten’s and one’s column to one’s
Question :Solve the Problem 57 + 27
Step 1 : 5 tens + 2 tens
50 + 20 = 70 or 7 tens
Step 2 : Add one’s column values
7 + 7 = 14
Step 3: Add 7tens + 14
70 + 14
Ans : The answer is 84
Vedic Maths Tricks on Subtraction
Subtraction using Vedic Math Sutra All from 9 and last from 10, answer reduce by 1.
Start from right to left subtract every digit from 9 except the last from 10 and answer reduce by 1.
Example : 70,000 – 8,963
Step 1 : Subtract 3 from 10 i.e 10 – 3 = 7
Step 2 : Subtract 6 from 9 i.e 9 – 6 = 3
Step 3 : Subtract 9 from 9 i.e 9 – 9 = 0
Step 4 : Subtract 8 from 9 i.e 9 – 8 = 1
Step 5 : Answer reduce ( less) by 1 i.e 7-1 = 6
Ans : 70,000 – 8,963 = 61,037
Benefit of Vedic Maths to Teachers
Knowing Vedic Maths helps teachers groom mental ability of students, remove maths maths fear , makes them competitive which further helps to achieve higher scores in math exams and maths competitions. Know more about Vedic Maths Teacher Program by clicking here.
Learn to Calculate Faster
Knowing the techniques for faster calculations will help you to train students excellently in maths.
Develops Logical Ability of Students
Vedic Maths helps to grow students brain and their mathematical ability
Start your Center
One can easily start center online or offline as there is a huge demand for Vedic Maths to develop mental maths ability of children.
Better Career Opportunities
Vedic Maths Teachers have better opportunities to grow than otherwise. It adds feather in their teaching cap for growth in career.
Frequently Asked Questions on Vedic Maths
It can be started by kids when the they are in class 2 or class 3 , that means it can be started at 7/8 years of age. At this age one can easily do the basic speed building methods on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Higher Classes from class 6 onwards can do advance modules covering roots, cubes, squares , squares and other higher calculations apart from the basic modules.
The Program has been divided into 4 modules. Each module is covered in 2 months.
Each batch as 5-6 students. Keeping the small batch ensures that each child gets quality learning and a great personal attention.
Yes, students are continuously assessed during the classes. Students are given assignments and tests are conducted at regular intervals.
Vedic way of learning makes maths simpler with a lot of tricks and techniques based on Vedic Sutras. And as per the Sutras done, the child can do sessions improvising and excelling in the calculative ability. And thereby for different age groups it is just one program and done once as a life skill program. In maths tuitions , the syllabus is different for each class and is based of conventional system of learning.
Yes definitely students calculate faster and mentally also by using techniques of Vedic Mathematics. Many of students have seen their speed rising by 10-20 times using this methods or Sutras. Not only they improve their skills on multiplication and division but also that of addition and subtraction.
Yes, Winaum Learning offers certified course to students. After the completion of the course, you get the certificate for the same.
There are different payment plans for the course. You may signup here to know more.
Yes Vedic Maths can be learnt online with the comfort of your home at your laptop/computer or mobile phone.
Yes, students are given assignments regularly for practice.
Vedic Maths program is divided broadly into two categories- Junior and Senior. In both the categories the students can do the program by completing the four levels. Each level requires 2 months, thereby in 8 months one can complete the entire program.
Vedic Maths requires specialists or experts in the field. Winaum Learning has trained teachers for the subject. You can enrol your child and make them practice as per the guidance by the teacher.
Vedic Mathematics is a system of reasoning and mathematical working based on ancient Indian teachings called Veda. It helps in normal computing, geometry, calculus , simplifies arithmetic and algebraic operations, thereby it has increasingly found acceptance the world over.
There are 16 main sutras and 13 sub sutras in Vedic Mathematics.
The earlier the child learns vedic maths, the better it is.
Children can start learning Vedic Maths as early as 7 years. It is important for the child to know the basic concepts of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. By the time a child reaches class 2 which is when the age of child is generally 7 years , he /she can understand the four pillars of math in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. And therefore the child can attend a junior vedic maths program focusing in speed building methods at junior levels.
For the kids above class 5, Vedic Maths senior program can be done which has higher level calculations along with basic arithmetic calculations.
Vedic Maths can be learned across all age groups.
- Children can do the course from grade 2/3 to class 12th. As per the age they can either junior program or the senior program.
- Undergraduates and graduates do it for appearing in competitive exams.
- Even the school teachers do it to enhance the quality of teaching delivery to the child.
- Adults – housewives, mothers/teachers/ people who wish to to take Vedic math classes and run their centers become part of teacher training program for vedic maths or the franchise program.
As per the age of the person who is learning, learning time may vary for vedic maths.
- Children can complete the program in 64 sessions
- Adults-housewives/teachers/graduates can do the same course in 25-30 sessions.
Vedic Maths has two types of programs as per the age groups of the children. We have a junior and a senior program. Vedic Maths Syllabus has a lot of short cut methods for faster calculations as per the category of the child.
Vedic maths is an extremely wonderful program for kids. It increases the speed of calculation for the child. Thereby child can score higher in maths tests, exams, and olympiads. The child is able to eliminate math phobia and he /she is more confident with numbers and maths. Know more about How Vedic Maths is Useful.
Vedic Maths focuses to enhance the mental ability of the child by having a lot of shot cut methods which helps children to calculate 10-15 times faster than conventional methods. Thereby the child is able to execute the math problems quickly. Abacus also increases the speed of the child however in the initial first year it has a total dependency on the tool. And the speed in maths develops over a period of 2-3 years in the abacus, whereas Vedic Maths develops mental maths and the speed in calculation with accuracy in just 8-12 months. Vedic Maths does require any tool
There are several materials available on the internet to learn Vedic Maths. However, all the material is available in bits and pieces and education requires a structural learning process to get complete in-depth knowledge. Winaum Learning offers a well-designed curriculum for Vedic Maths and trained and certified teachers teach in small batch sizes. Book a free trial and you shall definitely like it
Government of India has stressed the need for Vedic Maths in schools and in some of the speeches on education our Honourable Prime Minister Mr. Modi has also talked about Vedic maths to be included in the school maths education. In many of the schools, it has started. There are other schools which adopted in a small way as part of fun activities and others in schools exercise books. Schools themselves have a lot of curriculum to cover and sometimes they make it as part of school clubs or as part of after-school activities.
Vedic Maths is based on Vedic Sutras. Vedic Sutras are formulae for faster calculations. If one has learnt the chool methods of calculations, one can easily learn Vedic Maths. However, Abacus requires understanding the abacus tool which is generally not taught in depth in schools. Know all the differences between Vedic maths and abacus.
Vedic Maths has a lot of techniques to increase the speed in mathematics. If you know conventional methods of calculation taught in school, Vedic Maths is very easy to learn. It increases your memory power. One can apply the methods learnt in Vedic Maths in algebra, geometry and trigonometry. It also promotes child creativity. Know More about Vedic Maths Features.
Related Articles and Page Links
- How to train your self as teachers in Vedic Maths
- Join Vedic Maths Classes Online
- Difference between Vedic Maths and Abacus
- Shakuntala Devi Contribution to Maths
- Father of Vedic Maths
- How to become a Maths Wizard
- Importance of Maths and Calculations
- Tips for Success in Maths Exams
- Understanding Number and Names